Record Book Corner
Sparks Achievement Program
What are they and why are they important?
The 4-H program has a long history of record keeping. The focus reflects the importance of this life skill in our daily lives. In 4-H, young people have tracked their activities, events, profits and losses, skill development and learning experiences, and much more using the iconic 4-H Record Book. In addition to record keeping, the 4-H Record Book gives members an opportunity to reflect on their year, measure their achievements and growth, and set goals, and develop plans to meet those goals.
Why have 4-H record books?
4-H Record Books serve a variety of purposes in the California 4-H Youth Development Program.
- 4-H Record Books give members an opportunity to reflect on their yearly work. They document their skill development and their learning experiences in a written report. 4-H members measure their achievements and growth in their total years in 4-H.
- 4-H Record Books encourage members to set goals, pursue strategies to meet those goals, and to shift gears in the face of challenges and obstacles. Completion of the Personal Development Report awards 4-H members for participation in 4-H activities, which provides an incentive for participation, learning, and achievement.
- Completing a 4-H Record Book is a process where 4-H members record project and club work. Records management (RM) is a competency skill to identify, create, classify, archive, and preserve records. The 4-H Record Book teaches 4-H members these skills through a standard format.
There is a lot of information related to Record Books to assist our youth and leaders.
Follow the links below to find the information which you need.
- Forms needed to complete the Record Book and Record Book Manuals
- Record Book County Judging Check Sheet is required to be in the Record Book when it comes to the County Office to be judged: Record Book County Judging Check Sheet
- 4-H Record Book Personal Development Report (PDR) Reference Sheet: Record Book PDR
- Additional Record Book Resources and Tools
Find this information here: Record Book Forms and Manuals