Betsy M. Karle
Area Dairy Advisor & County DirectorCooperative Extension Glenn County
PO Box 697, 821 E. South Street
Orland, CA 95963
M.S. Ecology, UC Davis. 2003
B.S. Agriculture Systems & Environment, UC Davis. 1999
- Award of Excellence- Conservation Agriculture Systems Innovation Center
Presented by Western Region Extension, 2018
- Distinguished Service Award - Outstanding Teamwork
Presented by UC ANR, https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=27057, 2018
- Excellence in Conservation Innovation Planning Award
Presented by California Resource Conservation District, http://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/anrreport/Archive_Oct_2015_to_present/?blogpost=22844&blogasset=90326, 2016
- Excellence in Agriculture Award
Presented by California Young Farmers & Ranchers, http://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/newsletters/ANR_Report45333.pdf, 2013
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Animal Commodities and Products - General
- Livestock and Dairy
- Livestock and Dairy - General
- Dairy Cattle / Milk / Other Dairy Prod
- Goats and Goat Products
- Livestock and Dairy - Other
- Pasture - Irrigated
- Animals and Their Systems
- Animal Diseases
- Animal Welfare/Well-Being and Protection
- Environmental Stress in Animals
- Animal Management Systems
- Improved Animal Products (Before Harvest)
- Waste Disposal, Recycling, and Reuse
- Science Literacy in Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Nutrition
- Sustainable Food Systems
- Maier, G.U; Rowe, J.D. (In Press). Development of a novel clinical scoring system for bovine respiratory disease in weaned dairy calves. Journal of Dairy Science.
- Maier, G.U; Love, W.J. (In Press). Management factors associated with bovine respiratory disease (BRD) in preweaned calves on California dairies: the BRD 100 study. Journal of Dairy Science.
- Miller, Christine M.; Heguy, Jennifer M. (In Press). Optimizing accuracy of sampling protocols to measure nutrient content of solid manure. Waste Management.
- Karle, Betsy M.; Maier, Gabriele U. (In Press). Regional management practices and prevalence of bovine respiratory disease in California's preweaned dairy calves. Journal of Dairy Science. https://www.journalofdairyscience.org/article/S0022-0302(18)31007-5/fulltext
- Li, X.; Jackson, W. (2019). A Cross-Sectional Study of prevalence and Species of Cryptosporidium spp. in Preweaned Calves and Associated Management Risk Factors on Dairies in Central California, USA. J Vet Med Res. 6:1, 1171-1180. January 24. https://www.jscimedcentral.com/VeterinaryMedicine/veterinarymedicine-6-1171.pdf
- Meyer, D.; Karle, B.M. (2019). UC-industry-agency partnerships influence and help implement dairy water quality policy. California Agriculture. 73:1, 40-47. http://calag.ucanr.edu
- Tempini, PN; Aly, SS (2018). Multidrug residues and antimicrobial resistance patterns in waste milk from dairy farms in Central California. Journal of Dairy Science. 101:9, 8110-8122. September 1, 2018.
- Miller, Christine M.; Fadel, James G. (2018). Optimizing accuracy of protocols for measuring dry matter and nutrient yield of forage crops. Science of the Total Environment. 624, 180-188. May 15, 2018.
- Love, W. J.; Lehenbauer, T. W. (2016). "Survey of management practices related to bovine respiratory disease in preweaned calves on California dairies." Journal of Dairy Science 99(2): 1483-1494.
- Davy, J.S.; Karle, B.M. (2015). "Broadleaf weed control in irrigated pasture containing Trifolium repens." Crop and Pasture Science 66: 985-991.
- Meyer, D.; Price, P. (2011). "Survey of dairy housing and manure management practices in California." Journal of Dairy Science 94: 4744-4750.
- Harter, T.; Atwill, E.R. (2008). "Developing risk models of Cryptosporidium transport in soils from vegetated, tilted soil box experiments." Journal of Environmental Quality 37: 245-258.
- Lewis, D.J.; Atwill, E.R. (2005). "Linking on-farm dairy management practices to storm-flow fecal coliform loading for California coastal watersheds." Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 107: 407-425.
- Lile, D.; Tate, K.W. (2003). "Stubble height standards for Sierra Nevada meadows can be difficult to meet." California Agriculture 57: 60-64.
- Atwill, E.R.; Hou, L. (2002). "Transport of Cryptosporidium parvum oocysts through vegetated buffer strips and estimated filtration efficiency." Applied and Environmental Microbiology 68: 5517-5527.